Crossfit is a high-intensity sports discipline that has spread all over the world. Although its initial objective was to prepare people with jobs of high physical demand, nowadays it has adapted to all types of public. Do you know the benefits and dangers of CrossFit?
Although this type of training is quite attractive for those who want to lose weight, increase muscle mass and gain resistance, there are some disadvantages that should be considered before their practice. Then we review it in detail.
What is CrossFit?
Before knowing the benefits and dangers of Crossfit it is important to remember what this sport discipline consists of.
It is a form of training based on constantly varied exercises, with functional movements that run in a certain time, which should not exceed 50 minutes in length.
The activities that are practiced include cardiovascular exercises, weight lifting, and strength work; In addition, it aims to explore different skills and physical abilities of the person.
However, it is necessary to have sufficient physical conditioning, flexibility, balance, and muscular and respiratory resistance.
Likewise, it requires correct biomechanics of movement, since the bad execution of the exercises leads to injuries in the spine, joints and other parts of the body. So, what are the benefits and dangers of Crossfit?
Benefits and dangers of Crossfit
Although the Crossfit has gained millions of followers around the world, its practice has been a matter of controversy. While many of its benefits have been supported by studies, the multiple cases of injuries and serious consequences have generated the idea that it can be dangerous.
The big problem is that many have decided to practice it without previously evaluating their physical condition and state of health. Some have even followed intense routines without the supervision of an expert coach. Let’s see in detail its benefits and risks.
Benefits of Crossfit
Contrary to what many people think, Crossfit is not a type of training exclusively for high-performance athletes. In fact, it is currently being promoted and its practice is open to the majority of people.
However, it is necessary to know how to adapt it to the physical abilities of each one. In this sense, the training routine is not the same for a person in poor physical condition than for those who exercise regularly or who are accustomed to intense exercise.
Therefore, it is essential to consult the doctor and evaluate the physical performance before beginning to train with an exercise routine.
Considering the above, and respecting the biomechanics of movement implied by each exercise, the Crossfit offers interesting benefits, such as:
- Increases cardiovascular and respiratory resistance.
- Increase physical resistance.
- Power the ability of coordination and balance.
- Improves mood and self-esteem
- Contributes to increase muscle mass.
- It helps to lose weight (it is considered a «fat-burning» sport).
- Encourages relationships, as it is often practiced in a group.
Hazards of the CrossFit
As we have mentioned, the practice of Crossfit can be dangerous when precautions are not taken. If the person does not evaluate their current state of health first or does strenuous routines without having enough physical resistance, they are exposed to:
- Injuries to muscles, ligaments, tendons, and bones.
- Spinal injuries.
- Weakening and prolonged fatigue.
- Alterations in the cardiovascular system, such as increased blood pressure.
- Rhabdomyolysis, a disorder that involves the breakdown of muscle tissue. By producing the release of contents of muscle fibers in the blood, it leads to problems such as kidney failure and arrhythmias.
Tips for practicing Crossfit
For the practice of Crossfit to be safe, it is necessary to follow some advice. First, it is essential to determine how the state of health is and if there are possible conditions. Do not ignore that intense exercise is discouraged in case of diseases.
However, apart from this, it is very important to consult with a specialized trainer in this discipline. The professional can teach the exercises appropriately to reduce the risk of injury. Other recommendations are:
- Start with moderate routines, adapted to the physical condition.
- Increase the intensity of the exercises gradually.
- Take enough time to rest and recover.
- Ensure adequate hydration.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Do warm-up exercises and stretching before routines.
Are you interested in practicing this sport discipline? Take into account its benefits and risks and evaluate if it is suitable for you. Also, do not forget to advise before you start.